When I'm home following a normal routine it's easy for me to eat healthy, follow an exercise schedule and keep my weight stable. I know what works for me and what doesn't. But traveling is another story. It's a challenge to continue to eat relatively healthy and find time to exercise while traveling, whether it is for a weekend or 2 weeks.
Here are some tips on how to stay fit while traveling
1. Snacks! If you know me, you know I always have snacks, whether I leave my house for an hour or for a week. Planning ahead is important. When hunger strikes, you don't have to go too far & you won't be tempted to make the wrong choices. Also, keeping a stable blood sugar with snacks will avoid hypoglycemic fatigue & irritability.
Snacks for the go: Apple, almonds, baby carrots, banana, cashews, dried fruits, granola bar, oatmeal packets. Watch the amount of nuts & dried fruits as the calories add up quicker than you think.
2. Water. I cannot stress the importance of adequate hydration enough! Of course water is essential for life, but it ALSO luckily happens to curb appetite & improve digestion.
3. Words on menus to avoid if watching weight: Au gratin, Basted, Breaded, Country style, Creamy, Crunchy, Giant, Hollandaise, Smothered, Value. Vacation is meant for fun, I'm not implying you should only eat boiled chicken during your trip, but having an awareness of what you're eating is imperative.
4. Words on menus to welcome into your life: Baked, Boiled, Broiled, Fresh, Grilled, Marinated, Multi-grain, Poached, Roasted, Steamed, Stir fry, Whole grain.
5. Walk everywhere you can. Every step counts.
6. Plank and side plank. It's an isometric full body strengthener focusing on core strength and stability. Hold for thirty seconds for at least 3 sets. Perks: You can do it anywhere & will immediately will feel more toned than before.