As I always say, "Carry snacks!"
I try to lean towards natural snacks, such as plain Greek yogurt, fruit & nuts, but I do stock up on plenty of "bars." I've tried practically every bar in the game. My goal is to look for as little ingredients as possible, but even the "healthy" bars contain unwanted ingredients.
I decided to combine two of my favorite foods; oatmeal & nut butter, and turn it into a bar/square. Turns out, it was a good idea.
While the squares were in the oven, the whole kitchen smelled like a nutty cinnamon dream. I used almond butter as I had it on hand, but it can be substituted with peanut butter. You can have the square as a snack, quick breakfast or even an after-dinner desert.
1/2 cup of natural almond butter (or peanut butter)
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted or at room temperature
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups rolled oats
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Spray 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray
3. In a large bowl: whisk together peanut butter through vanilla extract
4. Add oats & cinnamon, stir to combine
5. Pour mixture into prepared pan and smooth evenly with a spoon
6. Bake for 28 minutes or until edges are light brown
7. Cool on wire rack
8. Cut into squares